Hawaii Golf Blog

Welcome to the Hawaii Golf Blog. We will feature Hawaii golf courses, Michelle Wie, Tadd Fujikawa and other Hawaii golfers and various discussions on golf in general.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Michelle Wie Turns Pro

Michelle Wie let the hundreds of reporters and the world know today that she has turned pro by saying "I'm finally happy to say I'm a pro starting today... The first time I grabbed a golf club, I knew I'd do it for the rest of my life. Some 12 years later, I'm finally turning pro, and I'm so excited". Wie is representated by the William Morris Agency.

She signed endorsement deals with both Nike and Sony totally more than $10 million a year though actual terms were not disclosed. She also pledged $500,000 to the U.S. Golf Hurrican Relief Fund.

Wie will make her professional debut next week on the LPGA tour at the Samsung World Championship, which is an 18-player field at the Bighorn GOlf Club in California. She will next play at the Casio World Open in Japan competing against the men.


Wie finished runner up at the LPGA Championship to Annika Sorenstam and third at the Women's British Open and has also made her last 16 LPGA cuts. If she had turned pro at the start of the year she would have accumulate dover $640,000 placing her 13th on the money list even though she only played in seven events.

The press conference with reporters from around the world went about 20 minutes so Wie could go off to her drawing or Japanese class depending on when she arrives at Punahou. I wonder if she will be treating all her classmates to lunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home